Cogent $1500 GigE

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Dec 15 20:59:39 UTC 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Babak Pasdar wrote:
>> Dear List,
>> I am getting a big push from Cogent on their full GigE for $1.50 per circuit.  What are your experiences with Cogent in general?  If on the fence, how would you use their service for this deal to make sense?
>
> $1.50 per meg. ;) I'd probably take it just because I could at that price. The downsides with Cogent is that they occasionally get into peering spats that might hurt you if you aren't multihomed, and no usable IPv6 (if that matters to you). I hadn't looked into it any further because I'm not located anywhere Cogent is to give it a serious look.

I'm pretty sure the system at $DAY_JOB is better at pushing bits near, but not quite over, the hard limit of a link than any other out there.  And I am dead certain I could not get 1000 Mbps out of a GigE without serious packet loss.

Even assuming 900 Mbps (good luck), you're at $1.66/Mbps.  Most people do 50%, so that would be $3/Mbps.  Still probably a good price for 500 Mbps.  But how much OpEx do you have to spend to ensure that link stays below 1 Gbps 24/7/365?

And if you only have 100 Mbps, though, it doesn't look so good.

--
TTFN,
patrick