Is there anyone from ASPEWS on this list?

William Pitcock nenolod at systeminplace.net
Sat Dec 12 21:10:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 18:02 +0100, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> > Seth Mattinen wrote:
> >>
> >> You should still be able to submit a ticket to SORBS, no? I was
> >> always under the impression that it was "open a ticket and wait or
> >> you are moved to the back of the line" with SORBS.
> >
> > That is correct on all counts.
> Oh and to re-iterate a point made so many times in so many forums and so
> often ignored.  Posting to any of my email personal addresses will not
> help your case at all.. ever.. in any way... and in fact posting to some
> of the old and disused ones will likely cause a spamtrap listing.  SORBS
> Support is done through the SORBS support system (which is what it is
> there fore funnily enough!)  Posting on mailing lists, or emailing to
> me, other SORBS staff, or GFI will result in various responses from
> completely ignoring you to sending you a PDF that tells you that you can
> only gain support through the SORBS support system - NO EXCEPTIONS.  The
> only thing my email address is valid for is if the SORBS Support system
> is down for telling me such (and I have plenty of systems monitoring all
> components of it so an email is pretty pointless in most cases.)  Robot
> rejection and refusal to delist is not a failure in the support
> system... Read the response and act upon the contents if you want a review.
>
> Sorry if that sounds harsh, but when you had seen even a couple of the
> idiotic messages I get, you'll understand why.  Logging a ticket is
> simple if a little ownerous (it takes 7 clicks to get a ticket logged, 3
> if you use the contact form!)

Perhaps people wouldn't have to email you if the robot actually did what
it said it was going to do.  Your website promises that the robot will
get things delisted out of the DUHL zone in "3 to 5 hours".

It has been more than "3 to 5 hours", and it is costing me money.
Considering that you shouldn't have listed the space to begin with, I
think it would be fantastic if you updated the website to reflect the
reality of the situation.

While I am sorry to hear that most of the people you deal with are
morons, it does not change the facts that SORBS listed IP address space
for no valid reason, other than the first version of the RDNS not
having .static. in it.

Perhaps if this sort of thing didn't keep happening, on a regular basis,
we would never hear about SORBS, MAPS, or any other RBLs on NANOG in a
bad light.

Personally, I like SORBS.  I would like to continue to be able to use
SORBS on my mail servers.  The fact that my addresses are listed as
being dynamic in SORBS when they are not, and it hasn't been fixed in
the timeframe that the website promises it would be fixed in, is making
me re-evaluate whether or not I should use SORBS and recommend it to
people looking for good DNSBLs to use on their mailservers.

> NO I DO NOT ACCEPT DELISTING REQUESTS OUT OF THE SUPPORT SYSTEM!

Then you should make your delisting process more streamlined.  You
already have a robot for most things, make it do the next step and just
delist the IP ranges it is given.

William