news from Google

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 01:21:43 UTC 2009

>> LRMAO
>>

> Coming from a gmail user...

Yes, and very satisfied with their service (not happy with the line
wraps though and plain text formatting), very convenient to receive
messages from e-mail lists and a more efficient way to deal with spam
and other nuisances.

I've to admit that actually MSFT online privacy notice (which it is
not clear if it's equal to their privacy "policy") includes the
statement you mentioned in your message, but you forgot to include the
rest ...

>From http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/default.mspx :
(short version, if you want all the yada yada you need to click on
"Additional Details")

Personal Information
- When you register for certain Microsoft services, we will ask you to
provide personal information.
- The information we collect may be combined with information obtained
from other Microsoft services and other companies.
- We use cookies and other technologies to keep track of your
interactions with our sites and services to offer a personalized
experience.

Uses of Information
-We use the information we collect to provide the services you
request. Our services may include the display of personalized content
and advertising.
- We use your information to inform you of other products or services
offered by Microsoft and its affiliates, and to send you relevant
survey invitations related to Microsoft services.
- We do not sell, rent, or lease our customer lists to third parties.
In order to help provide our services, we occasionally provide
information to other companies that work on our behalf.

And then there is another section that is related to "Your Choices",
but nowhere (and I'm not
saying that others provide this option either) says you opt to keep
all the information
Microsoft collects about you private and not shared with affiliates
(very vague term) or other
companies working on their behalf (ie the telemarketers bothering you
at home in the middle of your favorite football game to sell something
you don't need).

Every single provider that collects information about you tries to
find the way to monetize it and make some extra bucks.

Cheers
Jorge