news from Google

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri Dec 11 22:33:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>>  If you aren't breaking the law, the government won't be looking for your
>>  data, and won't ask Google/Yahoo/Bing/AltaVista or other search companies
>>  for your data.
>
> That's an extremely naive view of how governments operate. To put it
> mildly.

  That may be.  But the government has a lot better data than "what did
  Peter Beckman search for online in the last 12 years?"  Could it help them
  build a case against me?  Sure.  Should I be more careful about using
  search engines?  Probably.

  I know there is TORbutton (easily turn on and off TOR) and tor-proxy.net
  plugins for Firefox, but is there a plugin that will use a user-defined
  proxy for certain user-defined sites/URLs (such as Google, Bing, etc) and
  allow one to surf directly on all other URLs?  Or even a NoScript
  (whitelist) type deal that sends everything via a proxy except for those
  sites you decide to trust?  That'd be handy to avoid this privacy stuff.

  Getting offtopic.

  You simply need to assume that every company who you reveal even small
  pieces of your identity or online persona will sell, reveal, badly secure
  or misuse the information you provide.  I think this assumption is
  realistic, and that you need to be aware of it.  Google is simply telling
  you what all the other companies already do -- archive their data, which
  you generated, and which can be used to identify you and against you in a
  court of law.

  I'm shocked that really smart people like Asa Dotzler are shocked by what
  Eric Schmidt said, what I assumed was simply common knowledge - that there
  is no real privacy on the internet.

Beckman