Consumer Grade - IPV6 Enabled Router Firewalls.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Dec 11 14:10:57 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> said:
> Everyone knows a NAT gateway isn't really a firewall, except more or less
> accidentally.  There's no good way to provide a hardware firewall in an
> average residential environment that is not a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't think hardware vs. software makes a "real" firewall.  A NAT
gateway has to have all the basic functionality of a stateful firewall,
plus packet mangling.  Typical home NAT gateways don't have all the
configurability of an SSG or such, but the same basic functionality is
there.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>