About IPv6 performance

David Pérez david.iluvatar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 08:59:22 UTC 2009

Dear all:

I've been searching the web for tests or reports about how performance in
current IP boxes (core routers, BRAS, edge routers...) is impacted when
enabling IPv6, but haven't been able to find anything useful, but a couple
of reports dated in 2002 and 2004:

 http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=63606
http://www.ipv6-tf.com.pt/documentos/geral/bii_v6_interop.pdf

I already assume some impacts in memory for IPv6 prefixes, or CPU usage...
but don't clearly see other impacts (number of sessions...). I know
performance will mainly depend on which service structure is selected
(PPPoE, DHCPv6...), but... could anybody point to a report that deals with
all these issues?

Thank you,
David Pérez.