Optical fiber question

Leslie leslie at craigslist.org
Thu Dec 10 21:29:45 UTC 2009

Jared Mauch wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:24 PM, Deric Kwok wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> My provider said they can provide single / mulit mode Optical fiber
>>
>> Apart from the length and cost different, what is the Adv/Disadv
>> between them for our connection?
>
> The advantages are always in the distance capabilities of the single mode fiber.  You can reach much further on this, but the optics tend to be more expensive.  If you are going a short distance (eg: 2km or less) multi-mode is the way.  If you're going to go any further, or want to ever go any further, take the extra cost and know you can swap optics in the future to do gig, 10G and possibly more (in the future) with less pain.

I'm assuming you're talking about someone actually giving you a strand
of fiber you'd be lighting yourself. If it's a short intrabuilding
handoff, then it doesn't really matter - I'd just go with what's cheapest.

Plus, while I'm sure someone in a lab has done it, you really don't run
DWDM over multimode fiber - I'd second the opinion of it's cheap enough,
go for the single mode and get the most flexibility in your options
possible.

One minor consideration is usually SM optics are stronger, so don't
forget attenuation if it's a short distance or you might burn out your
pricey new optics!

Leslie