Optical fiber question

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Thu Dec 10 21:24:41 UTC 2009

> My provider said they can provide single / mulit mode Optical fiber
> >
> > Apart from the length and cost different, what is the Adv/Disadv
> > between them for our connection?
>
> The advantages are always in the distance capabilities of the single
> mode fiber.  You can reach much further on this, but the optics tend to
> be more expensive.  If you are going a short distance (eg: 2km or less)
> multi-mode is the way.  If you're going to go any further, or want to
> ever go any further, take the extra cost and know you can swap optics
> in the future to do gig, 10G and possibly more (in the future) with
> less pain.

Just to amplify Jared's very complete answer. The principle reason you would use
multimode instead of single mode is reduced cost. If cost isn't an issue, single
mode has more potential to be used in more applications. Even the longer range
SM optics can be used for short range uses with inexpensive attenuators.

Service Providers support both because their customers may only support one or
the other.

Deepak Jain
AiNET