best practices for PTR naming and whois (was, sadly, Re: Arrogant RBL list maintainers)

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Dec 10 17:06:12 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-10, at 16:42, Michael Thomas wrote:

> On 12/10/2009 08:38 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
>> The way to do this is to put other data in the ip6.arpa/in-addr.arpa and
>> stop trying to infer things from the PTR records.
>
> Sigh. What is the "this" to which you refer?

I think Mark means "the question of whether a particular address is statically-assigned or dynamically-assigned", but...

> The problem space here is what's important. And I think it's worth considering
> that port 25 isn't the only abuse vector anymore.

... I agree that there's no clear limit to the kind of questions we could come up with that we could answer in such a way. Maybe we don't need to boil the ocean, though.

$ORIGIN 90.212.90.in-addr.arpa.
@ SOA ...
@ NS ...
;
13 PTR calamari.hopcount.ca.
13 HINFO Apple-Mac-Mini "Mac OS X Server"
13 RP jabley.hopcount.ca. .
13 TXT "dynamic"
;
* RP jabley.hopcount.ca. .
* HINFO Nothing "Unallocated"
* TXT "unallocated, should source no traffic"

Joe