Arrogant RBL list maintainers

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Wed Dec 9 21:18:21 UTC 2009

> To be clear: because the legitimate mailserver with a proper non-generic
> reverse was in a block with other generic reverses, they blacklisted you?

Their initial email said :

[snip]
Trend Micro Notification: 137.148.0.0/16 added to DUL
[snip]

and then went on to say :

[snip]
To work with us, please generate the following three lists:

1) TOTAL ALLOCATED SPACE – in CIDR format
     Please include all information for the space you announce.
     The total of Static and Dynamic space must equal the
     Total Allocated Space.
2) DYNAMIC SPACE LIST - in CIDR format
3) STATIC SPACE LIST - in CIDR Format
[snip]

Which was, of course, impossible .. since trunking a VLAN across the
core just to have all the printers in the same /22 would be silly.

After some arguing back-and-forth .. they (Trend) said :

[snip]

Also we don't see the IP address as static as we see the generic naming convention of
*csuohio.edu* as dynamic and the WHOIS information doesn't indicate that the space is static.
[snip]

Seriously .. we're a college campus, not a colo. Org-Abuse roles is defined (and valid) and real people read the RFC2142 required addresses. What more do these people want?

(Note: they did eventually say "okay, we see the MXs as static so those aren't listed" .. but not without some discussion).

Cheers,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University