Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Owen DeLong owen at
Wed Dec 9 14:23:40 CST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Jens Link wrote:
>> Owen DeLong <owen at> writes:
>>> I expect my connections to my mail server to actually reach my
>>> mail server.  I use TLS and SMTP AUTH as well as IMAP/SSL.  Many
>>> of the "just works" settings in question break these things badly.
>> One of my customers has an appliance for his WLAN guest access access
>> which filters out AAAA records. :-(
>> jens at bowmore:~$ dig AAAA @ +short
>> jens at bowmore:~$
> That, unfortunately, is not uncommon.  Actually, it's one of the
> _less_
> broken systems I've seen, since IPv4 presumably keeps working.
> One major vendor of hotel guestnet equipment returns an A record for
> if you do an ANY or AAAA query for any hostname--even ones
> that
> don't exist.  At least with WinXP, you have to disable IPv6 just to
> get
> IPv4 to work!  Worse, their tech support sees nothing wrong with this;
> if you disagree, all they'll do is offer a refund.  Unfortunately,
> "take
> your money elsewhere" doesn't work when you've already paid for the
> hotel room--and they know it.
I've actually extracted significant rebates from Hotels where their
was provably broken, and, their third-party provider would not resolve
the issue.  More than just a refund of the IP fees. In one case, 1/2 the
cost of my multi-night stay.