Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Dec 8 22:36:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Joe Abley wrote:

> I once thought that PANA was the clean answer to this. Now the PANA
> effort has concluded, and documents have been published, but reading
> through them I can't tell whether PANA is in fact any kind of answer to
> this. It'd be nice if there was a hotspot authentication solution buried
> in there, somewhere.

I know nothing about PANA except that abstract to RFC 4058 says it's a
generalized replacement for link-layer authentication protocols such
as 802.1x. But 802.1x wifi authentication works today - see for example
http://www.eduroam.org/ - though the setup effort is only worth it if you
are going to be using the authenticated network(s) a lot.

Tony.
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.