Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Tue Dec 8 15:25:28 UTC 2009

Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Andrew Cox wrote:
>

>> Sounds like a great idea in theory but would require OS support or a dual-hotspot setup that provided for both options until support was expected.
>> Until such time it's simply unworkable.
>>
>> That and as mentioned in my previous post, the setup we have *just works* for users who don't have the permissions to change off of a static IP and use DHCP on their laptops.
>>
> And it just breaks for those of us who actually expect "internet access" to mean
> access to the internet, not just the web.

I never said that the *just works* method stopped users from being able
to use the internet. In fact catching users with bad IP address settings
works just as well as sending them a DHCP address.
> I make a habbit of calling support and pushing the issue hard through multiple
> layers until I finally get a management denial, then, demand refunds of my
> connectivity charges every time I encounter this at a hotel.
>
> I figure that the reason you guys deploy what "just works" as you put it is because
> it lowers your support costs, so, I do what I can to increase the support costs of
> delivering a broken internet.

We're in no way in the business of providing half-baked services and
likewise, I call up support for other providers if I end up with just
web access.