Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Dec 8 14:52:49 UTC 2009

In message <200912080939.nB89dIXn090157 at aurora.sol.net>, Joe Greco writes:

> > > It may be hazardous even before user authentication has taken place.
> > > Even given a very low TTL, client resolvers may cache answers returned
> > > during that initial authentication.

> > > Which, presumably, many/most of them are.  Supplying a functional DNS
> > > server shouldn't be that difficult, but real world experience shows just
> > > how well some operators run these services.

> > > Sounds like an opportunity for a custom proxy.  Clients that can
> > > successfully authenticate to an external mailserver on 25 are probably
> > > by definition nonproblematic.  The remainder probably deserve to get
> > > jammed through an aggressive spam, virus, and other-crap filter, with
> > > in-line notification of rejections.  You can do some other sanity stuff
> > > like counting the number of hosts contacted by a client; anything in
> > > excess of a small number would seem to be a good indicator to stop.
> >
> > This really should be a DHCP option which points to the authentification
> > server using ip addresses.  This should be return to clients even
> > if they don't request it.  Web browers could have a hot-spot button that
> > retrieves this option then connects using the value returned.
> >
> > No need to compromise the DNS or intercept http.
>
> But that doesn't change the fact that there's a need; it's a part of the
> flawed design of the various components, because this problem wasn't
> envisioned and solved and now we have a mess.  Even the hotspot vendors
> cannot agree on a unified way to do things; this means that each network
> you try to connect to will implement its own set of unique brokenness,
> ranging from requirements for a particular OS/browser, use of reserved/
> allocated IP spaces for stupid reasons (hi, 1.1.1.1!), various DNS/HTTP
> attempts at redirection, blocking, etc.
>
> I know what you're saying, but seriously, haven't we just repeated all
> the same mistakes in IPv6?  And of course it'd be a nightmare to cover
> all the edge cases, this is why nobody tries to figure it out, so in
> the end we end up with many really cruddy hatchet jobs.
>
> Why would "web browsers" have a hot-spot button?

Because that would be a easy way to implement this sort of thing.
You could have a command line tool or a seperate widget that
that launched the browser.

>  What if I want to just use ssh?

You still need to authenticate.  It's better if we can reduce the
amount of collateral damage required to authenticate.  The interception
is being done today because there is no standard way to say "go here to
authenticate" and the hotspot provider has to do a man in the middle
attack to get you to the authentication page.

> And where's the web browser on my VoIP telephony adapter, etc?  :-)

Does you VoIP telephony adapter work today in hotspots that require
authentication?  It isn't that hard to build in a display.

Having a DHCP option is better than the mess we have now.  To go
further requires agreement on how to present terms, pricing etc.
in a standardised way.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org