Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Joel Esler eslerj at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 05:12:38 UTC 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 10:35 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

>> It's why I run an ssh server on 443 somewhere -- and as needed, I ssh-tunnel http to a squid proxy, smtp, and as many IMAP/SSL connections as I really need...
>
> Same here.  It's the most reliable way to break out of a hotel jail.

Funny enough, I happen to be staying at a Marriott this week, where apparently I can't do ANYTHING on this network (my iChat client won't even connect!).

Just so happens that I brought my Xbox360 this week and plugged it into the TV to get some Modern Warfare 2 on, and of course, THAT wasn't going to work on the network either right?  Right.

So, I broke out my Mifi (from Verizon).  Connected my xbox360 to my mifi and played some Call of Duty.  No lag.

Okay, I feel better, done ranting against stayonline and guestnet.