Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Tue Dec 8 01:44:01 UTC 2009

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> You could just firewall off port 25 and leave 587 open - to save
> yourself from a bunch of viruses and such.
> A lot of people will use webmail anyway - from a hotel.  And you avoid
> getting blacklisted

The problem with doing that is that users don't understand it. All they
know is that "it doesn't work here and it does at home".

We currently redirect to a couple of dedicated mail relays that will
accept any email where:
a) the source address = the email address the put on their signup
and
b) is not detected as spam

Alternatively there's a throttling table and spam filter on everything
else that comes through.

> The other option is to install a device that examines email flows and
> allows only stuff it doesnt think is spammy (netflow for email kind
> of, with all the bayesian etc secret sauce).
> Two devices come to mind
>
> * Symantec E160 (used to be called turntide, and before that, back in
> 2002-03, spam squelcher)
> * Mailchannels (www.mailchannels.com)
>
> There's probably a few more that do this and are totally transparent.

We can also just force the box to accept any unsecured auth-attempts
however the SMTPS over port 25 is still a problem.
Don't see how any system could examine that mail without causing
certificate errors.
Allowing it to pass to the original server based on the first packet
being detected as a secure connection may be possible thou.