Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Tue Dec 8 01:24:04 UTC 2009

Disclaimer: /I work for a company that provides these services./

IMHO there is no need for any sort of DNS redirection after user
authentication has taken place.

We of course redirect UDP/TCP 53 to one of our servers along with 80
(http) 443 (https) 8080, 3128 (proxy) to the local hotspot *before* any
authentication has occurred, but once this is completed the only reason
any guest would use the local DNS server is if they were assigned a DHCP
address.

As far as our Routerboard/Mikrotik setup works, it'll masquerade for any
non standard IP addresses that appear on the network (guests with static
ip's assigned, corporate laptops etc) but once again after the
authentication stage anything is allowed to pass unhindered.

The only redirection that is used after authentication is for port 25 as
90% of user trying to send mail out via port 25 have no idea how to
change their mail server, let alone why they might need to.
It can be an issue as some systems use authentication on port 25.

I would be interested to hear what people have to say about this, as the
only other option I could think of would involve checking the incoming
connection to see if the end user was trying to authenticate to a mail
server before determining where to forward the connection onto (Layer 7
stuff, gets a bit tricky)

Regards,
Andrew Cox
AccessPlus Head Network Administrator