Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Tue Dec 8 00:23:29 UTC 2009

On 12/7/09 4:00 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Providers to avoid: US Signal Corporation. (64.141.138.226 was my
> natted IP in a Hampton Inn depsite whois/swip).

Add Air2Data (seen in Best Western in WY).  20 someodd APs, all
routerboards, all same SSID, overlapping channels, hijacking 80 and 53.
  When using PPTP or IPSec VPN, the AP chokes and locks out all other
clients, eventually stops responding completely.

SpeedLinks (once again, Best Western, in Tacoma, WA) was almost as bad.
  Port 53 hijacking, flakey PPTP support, no ethernet jacks.

I'm noticing alot of these places are doing things which work perfectly
with Windows, but not Mac, Linux, etc.  Drives me bonkers, and we make
sure to let management know we won't stay at their hotel in the future
because of said issues.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org