Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

Paul Timmins paul at telcodata.us
Mon Dec 7 23:28:41 UTC 2009

Jared Mauch wrote:
> The University of Michigan Hospitals have a guestnet wireless that is ghetto and blocks
> IMAP over SSL.  Attempts to get them to correct this have fallen on deaf ears.  I can't even
> VPN out to work around the sillyness, which typically works in other hotel/guestnet scenarios.
>
> Providers to avoid: US Signal Corporation. (64.141.138.226 was my natted IP in a Hampton Inn depsite whois/swip).
>
> - Jared

I'm pretty sure that's the hotel doing the blocking, USS isn't the type
to enforce anything specific like that that I've found as they're a
wholesaler and blocking that stuff tends to annoy those who are
whiteboxing their product.

They definitely don't do anything like that on their transit links.

-Paul