Official Mail, was SPF Configurations

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Dec 7 22:26:27 UTC 2009

>I would love to know how the marketplace wants to handle "Official Mail,"
>but I'm not expecting useful answers here.

The marketplace doesn't have a clue.  We have a plenty of tools in the
toolbox, from heavyweight S/MIME to lighter weight DKIM+VBR to
proprietary Goodmail, but among the mailers with a stake in having a
reliable spoof-resistant channel I don't see much interest in doing
anything other than whatever they're doing now.

If it were up to me, I'd use per-recipient password-protected RSS or Atom
feeds with emailed notices that just say to check your feed, but that has
patent issues.

R's,
John