AW: SPF Configurations

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Dec 5 00:54:11 UTC 2009

>> Right.  The only major mail system that pays attention to SPF is
>> Hotmail, but there are enough small poorly run MTAs that use it that
>> an SPF record which lists your outbounds and ~all (not -all) can be
>> marginally useful to avoid bogus rejections of your mail.
>
> For example :
> [ various large ISPs that publish SPF ]

Perhaps this is a language problem.  In English, "publishes" is not a
synonym for "pays attention to."  As I said, you need to publish SPF
to get mail into Hotmail.  That's why people do it.

> I know there is a problem so far with forwarded emails but there is  also a
> solution :
> [ hoary SRS proposal to change every SMTP server in the world to make them
> match what SPF does ]

Sigh.

> Every time a mail arrives that is an SRS address the password and timestamp
> could be checked, and faked or outdated recipients could be rejected.

You might want to look at BATV, which has nothing to do with SPF, but
I have found is quite useful for recognizing spam blowback.

R's,
John

PS:

> This message (including any attachments) is the property of FHE3 and may
> contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this
> communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
> received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender
> by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any
> attachments.

Our policy is to send messages with confidentiality notices to all of
your competitors.