Consumer Grade - IPV6 Enabled Router Firewalls.

Jason.Weil at cox.com Jason.Weil at cox.com
Fri Dec 4 02:53:47 UTC 2009

One of the better/only decent implementations I have run across in the retail world so far is the D-Link 615SW. Look for the IPv6_Ready Gold cert emblem (found this on an encap at Fry's and nobody in the department knew what IPv6 was) on the front of the box for easy recognition although there are other modems with RevC (think Rev_B works as well) firmware that don't have the label but work as well. The major feature missing is DHCPv6 IA_PD but you won't find this on any retail router that I am aware of today. What you will find though is WAN interface config via static, stateful or stateless DHCPv6 as well as stateful and stateless PPPoEv6. It even offers a DHCPv6 server for your LAN interfaces to boot.

I am not sure if this product was built for the Japanese market and is now being released here to determine interest from the retail sector but it is useful for a trial lab or for testing at home. The major caveat of course is that all the IPv6 configs are done in Advanced Config mode and hence not designed for plug-and-play for your average home user.

Jason