news from Google

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Thu Dec 3 21:50:03 UTC 2009

On 12/3/09 2:44 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> I take it you've never been on the receiving end of a "the whole
> internet is down it's your fault cuz google never breaks" call when
> google hiccups?

Actually, I have.  I used to have to deal with gems like 'Your DNS
server is attacking my machine in port 53 UDP!' all the time.  End users
will always do what they want without needing help from anyone but
themselves.

My position has, and always will be, you are on your own if you deviate
from the standard configuration we provide.  My current users understand
that, and have gotten to the point where they'll admit up front if they
changed something, without me needing to ask.

Considering our messing up something costs them $0 vs. a service call
from us that starts at $50 and goes up, the economics of playing with
settings that work fine gets expensive, and they know this.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org