news from Google

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Dec 3 19:25:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> Jorge Amodio wrote:
>>> now Google DNS, anything more?

  I'm surprised that Google's new DNS service does not return better results
  for google.com than some local DNS resolvers do.  My server is in Fairfax,
  VA.  Does Google use Anycast'ed IPs or is it still a hybrid of
  split-horizon DNS and other things, as discussed previously:

     http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2009-02/threads.html#00269

  Here's the results from some various DNS servers for Google.com.  I
  thought Google had a datacenter in Ashburn, VA, but I'm not getting there.
  Maybe it's gone.  Maybe the shortest route doesn't matter anymore.

     --> dig +short google.com @208.67.222.222 # OpenDNS
     74.125.53.100
     74.125.67.100
     74.125.45.100
     --> dig +short google.com @8.8.8.8 # Google DNS
     74.125.67.100
     74.125.53.100
     74.125.45.100
     --> dig +short google.com @8.8.4.4 # Google DNS 2
     74.125.67.100
     74.125.53.100
     74.125.45.100
     --> dig +short google.com @198.6.1.1 # UUNET/Verizon Cache server (cache00.ns.uu.net)
     74.125.53.100
     74.125.67.100
     74.125.45.100
     --> dig +short google.com @198.6.1.2
     74.125.45.100
     74.125.53.100
     74.125.67.100
     --> dig +short google.com @198.6.1.3
     74.125.45.100
     74.125.67.100
     74.125.53.100
     --> dig +short google.com @198.6.1.4
     74.125.45.100
     74.125.53.100
     74.125.67.100
     --> dig +short google.com @198.6.1.5
     74.125.67.100
     74.125.45.100
     74.125.53.100
   * --> dig +short google.com @70.164.18.41 # Nova.org (Small VA ISP) Caching DNS
     74.125.45.100
     74.125.53.100
     74.125.67.100
   * --> dig +short google.com @208.94.147.150 # Tiggee DNS (VA company)
     74.125.45.100
     74.125.67.100
     74.125.53.100

     --> ping -c 10 74.125.45.100
     round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 18.079/20.522/25.272/2.200 ms

     --> ping -c 10 74.125.53.100
     round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 97.721/101.267/107.770/2.856 ms

     --> ping -c 10 74.125.67.100
     round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 97.531/99.238/101.206/1.420 ms

  Only the last two starred DNS records returned what _seems_ to be the best
  result for Google.com.  Then again, someone from Google might be able to
  explain the logic behind the results.

  And to rip off the bandaid on the "What DNS Is Not" discussion, Google's
  DNS does return the expected NXDOMAIN for the very small test I did.