FTTH Active vs Passive

Curtis Maurand cmaurand at xyonet.com
Wed Dec 2 16:37:26 UTC 2009

Mackinnon, Ian wrote:
> <snip>
>
> In the UK more homes have fixed wire telephony than mains sewers or
> water.
> Not sure what that means to this discussion :-)

In the US as well, but if you're trying to run a new fiber network and
you want it uderground, the sewers in metro areas are a good place to
start.  In the rural areas, however, everything is on poles except for
new construction where trenching and conduit are required.

I worked briefly for a small ILEC/CLEC here in Maine that does not
replace copper trunks with copper any longer.  If the copper goes bad,
they're running FTTH.