FTTH Active vs Passive

Chris Hills chaz at chaz6.com
Tue Dec 1 21:57:40 UTC 2009

On 01/12/09 20:06, Byron Hicks wrote:
> These were the numbers presented at an Internet2 meeting about the 4k
> testing happening between UCSD and UW.   I'm not sure what compression
> algorithm they were using for the test.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/09/super_hi_vision.html

"The Italian broadcaster, RAI, demonstrated satellite broadcasting of
SHV at 140 Mbit/s from Turin to IBC."

Super Hi-Vision has a resolution of 4320x7860 (and also carries 22.2
channel sound). IIRC the video codec used was Dirac.

>From the Dirac website:-

"In our first experiments, we managed to get excellent picture quality
at 128Mb/s, which sounds huge but is equivalent to just 4Mb/s for HDTV."