FTTH Active vs Passive

Scott Brown/Clack/ESD SBrown at clackesd.k12.or.us
Tue Dec 1 20:28:14 UTC 2009

> You could deploy 2 or 3 strands and get more bandwidth to the customer,
> using perhaps less expensive hardware, or you could maintain fewer
strands
> in the ground and depend on equipment manufactures to maintain an
adequate
> growth in bandwidth capabilities.
>
> Neither approach is going to work for everyone.
>
> --
> Dan White

At my previous job we were deploying a hybrid system - a mix of active and
PON depending on the requirements of the customer.

For the active systems it wasn't homerun fiber back to the main CO - we had
a nice ring of fiber to key locations in the City and then we would place a
ped where the spurs would connect to.

Top that off with a CISCO Wireless Mesh overlay and no matter what speed
and mobility you needed you could get it somehow... Our only limit (at the
time I left) was upstream to the Internet.

--Scott