FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Fri Aug 28 19:08:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Carlos Alcantar<carlos at race.com> wrote:
> The dropping of internet is done on purpose to preserve the battery for
> the pots when ac power is lost.  This is an actual setting in just about
> all manufacturers of ftth equipment.  You'll probably have a hard time
> to get them to change the profile on the equipment tho but it is
> possible.

Hi Carlos,

I realize why it's done. I merely point out that there are common
configurations in which the having the FTTH NID power the POTS
circuitry and drop the Internet circuitry is exactly the opposite of
correct. Where instead of preserving access to emergency responders,
it is intentionally designed to cut that access.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004