FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Fri Aug 28 17:59:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Jack Bates<jbates at brightok.net> wrote:
> I've yet to hear an ILEC suggest that they not
> have batteries in the NID to support the voice in power outages.

The battery in my FTTH NID is completely useless. It maintains the
voice side of the NID but drops the Internet side. Only, I cancelled
the POTS service years ago and use a Vonage phone. So now I need a
second UPS for the already-battery-backed NID or I lose phone service.
Brilliant design that.

IIRC, when my FTTH was installed, I was told: here's the battery. It's
now your problem. When this light goes red, call the number here to
BUY a new one.

Folks handle batteries for their flashlights and emergency radios and
cars and cordless phones. I fail to understand why asking the customer
to handle one more battery would stymie them.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004