FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri Aug 28 15:28:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 28-Aug-2009, at 08:14, Peter Beckman wrote:
>
>> And where does that fiber go to?  Home runs from a central point in the
>> development, so any provider can hook up to any house at the street?
>> Deregulation means those lines should be accessible to any company for a
>> fee.  How do you give House A Verizon and House B Cox, especially if Cox
>> doesn't support fiber?
>
> His general idea was that the homeowner owns conduit and fibre from the house
> to a shared neighbourhood colo facility, and has rights to some space in that
> facility.  The facility then acts as a junction point between houses in
> the neighbourhood (if the neighbours want to connect) or as a place where
> a service provider could build to in order to deliver service to the
> homeowner.

  I like that idea, except for the problem that I don't want my neighbors to
  have access to the colo, or at least my feed, but I want access to my feed
  to I can reboot whatever device is connected there.  There would have to
  be individual locked cages of some standard size so I could access and
  reboot or change my router out, but could not disconnect or modify my
  neighbors connection.

  It would really suck if my router locked up and it was locked in the colo
  room and I had to wait for someone to let me in to powercycle it.  It
  would also really suck if my neighbor hated me and simply loosened my
  connection when they felt like it.

  I'm sure there are solutions to that problem, but moving the demarc line
  outside the home does bring up new and interesting challenges.