FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Fri Aug 28 15:21:34 UTC 2009

On 28-Aug-2009, at 08:14, Peter Beckman wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>
>> In most areas of the country you can't get a permit to build a house
>> without electrical service (something solar and other off the grid
>> people
>> are fighting).  Since it is so much more cost effective to install
>> with
>> new construction, why don't we have codes requring Cat5 drops in
>> every
>> room, and fiber to the home for all new construction?
>
> And where does that fiber go to?  Home runs from a central point in
> the
> development, so any provider can hook up to any house at the street?
> Deregulation means those lines should be accessible to any company
> for a
> fee.  How do you give House A Verizon and House B Cox, especially if
> Cox
> doesn't support fiber?

This sounds like some of the scenarios that Bill St Arnaud worked
through at CANARIE. I think they got as far as some test deployments
in or around Ottawa.

His general idea was that the homeowner owns conduit and fibre from
the house to a shared neighbourhood colo facility, and has rights to
some space in that facility.

The facility then acts as a junction point between houses in the
neighbourhood (if the neighbours want to connect) or as a place where
a service provider could build to in order to deliver service to the
homeowner.

It has been some time since I read the material, but my memory is that
the model was at its essence one of moving the provider/subscriber
demarcation point from the house to a central neighbourhood location.

Joe