FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Fri Aug 28 11:11:39 UTC 2009

On Aug 27, 2009, at 11:11 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:

> The background issue is whether satellite-based systems at around
> 200 Kb/s and high latency can be defined as "broadband." Since
> everyone in America - including the Alaskans - has access to
> satellite services, defining that level of service as broadband
> makes the rest of the exercise academic: everyone is "served."
> There's no economic argument for government subsidies to multiple
> firms in a market, of course.

It seems to me that there has to be an element of what can be the
hardest thing to obtain in Government, judgement.

If I lived on Attu Island in the Aleutians, I would probably consider
a 200 Kb/s satellite link as broadband.

Where I live in Northern Virginia, I would not.

If there isn't some form of judgement about what is suitable and
possible in a given area, the results are not likely to be good.

Regards
Marshall