FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Aug 27 15:20:00 UTC 2009

Leo Bicknell wrote:
> My perception is that the rural telecom market is fragmented by many
> smaller players, which amplifies this problem.

I have 12 ILEC and 1 CLEC under my umbrella. I can guarantee that not a
single one is the same at the plant, equipment, or business level.

That being said, I think we are luckier than Bell, who has only a few
dozen concentrated CO's in the state which feed the smaller CO's, or in
some cases, entire towns are fed by double ended carrier (where 14.4 is
considered the best connection one can hope for). We see unlicensed
wireless in a lot of these places, but their customers honestly beg for
better service.

Jack