FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Xaver Aerni xaerni at pop.ch
Thu Aug 27 15:08:16 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Adams" <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
To: <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

> Once upon a time, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> said:
>> When the original
>> rural telephone network was pushed ROI's of 50 years were talked about.
>> There's plenty of infrastructure built every day with ROI's of 20 years.
>
> How much of that was built in the last 15 years though (where now it
> needs to be replaced before it has been paid for)?  In the 1990s,
> BellSouth pushed hard here, rolled out fiber to the neighborhoods, and
> deployed ISDN-capable equipment everywhere.  ISDN was available at every
> single address in town by around 1995 (allegedly we were one of if not
> the first moderate-sized city with ISDN everywhere).
>
> Then it turned out ISDN was a flop, and DSL came along, which wouldn't
> run over that nice big fiber plant.  They had to start rolling out
> remote DSLAMs all over town.  Shortly after they had most of the city
> covered, ADSL2 came along, and they had to start upgrading again.

I don't think ISDN was a flop.
In the middle of the 90 years. The most KMU and bigger Companies have ISDN.
At home it was at 1997 a trend two with Internet. Ok in Europe we haven't
till begin of the 2000 no Clip Informations on a analoge line. This will be
come to begin of the 2000.
With ADSL and Clipinformations has the most people at home chanched back to
an analog Line. For the companies is ISDN allready a must.

You must see. At the End of the last century the most people has a phone,
has a fax, has a Modem... The best way was ISDN.

Now The childern are skypeing... or take an other IP Fon. Fax doesn't exist
at home. The people has E-Mail.  And Internet we have on ADSL or VDSL. with
many speed. For phoneing 2/3 of the people take the handy (celuar phone) or
IP fon.
I think this is the bigest part in the last 10 years.
Greetings
Xaver