FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Robert Enger - NANOG nanog at enger.us
Wed Aug 26 22:16:17 UTC 2009

As tedious as the downstream can be, engineering the upstream path of a cable plant is worse.
A lot of older systems were never designed for upstream service.  Even if the amps are retrofitted, the plant is just not tight enough.
Desirably, fiber should be pushed deeper; the quantity of cascaded amps reduced, coax fittings and splitters replaced and so on.