FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Aug 26 19:42:21 UTC 2009

Roy wrote:
> The problem that the FCC faces is making a realistic definition that can
> apply to the whole US and not just cities.  How does fiber (home or
> curb) figure in the rural sections of the country?

It figures in nicely, thank you. Of course, our definition of curb might
be 1.5 miles further than your definition. ;)

2 miles is the cutoff for > 10mb/s reliability, but to deal with future
stuff, most of my telco customers have dropped it down to 1.5 miles.
This also suited them for handling smaller remote systems with 48 ports
and shifting from gr303 to SIP/MGCP, some with gr303 translators at the
home office.

Our highest supported circuits currently top at 100/50, but customers
don't need them, and the telco's aren't pushing video down them. We
honestly hope Internet video will continue to grow and we'll just shift
into higher Internet bandwidth and stick with transport. We're good at
transport.

Jack