Data Center testing

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Wed Aug 26 18:22:49 UTC 2009

The idea of regular testing is to essentially detect failures on your time schedule rather than entropy's (or Murphy's). There can be flaws in your testing methodology too. This is why generic load bank tests and network load simulators rarely tell the whole story.

Customers are rightfully unpleased with any testing that affects their normal peace-of-mind, and doubly so when it affects actual operational effectiveness. However, since no system can operate indefinitely without maintenance, failover and other items, the question of taking a window is not negotiable. The only thing that is negotiable (somewhat) is when, and only in one direction (ahead of the item failing on its own).

So, taking this concept to networks. It's not negotiable whether a link or a device will fail, the question is only how long you are going to forward bits along the dead path before rerouting and how long that rerouting will take. SONET says about 50ms, standard BGP about 30-300seconds. BFD and other things may improve these dramatically in your setup. You build your network around your business case and vice versa.

Clearly, most of the known universe has decided that BGP time is "good enough" for the Internet as a whole right now. Most are aware of the costs in terms of overall jitter, CPU and stability if we reduce those times too far.

Its intellectually dishonest to talk about never losing a packet or never forwarding along a dead path for even a nanosecond when the state-of-the-art says something very different indeed.

Deepak Jain
AiNET