Data Center testing

eric clark cabenth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 06:09:48 UTC 2009

Most Provider type datacenters I've worked with get a lot of flak from
customers when they announce they're doing network failover testing, because
there's always going to be a certain amount of chance (at least) of
disruption. Its the exception to find a provider that does it I think (or
maybe just one that admits it when they're doing it). Power tests are a
different thing.
As for testing your own equipment, there are a couple ways to do that,
regular failover tests (quarterly, or more likely at 6 month intervals),
and/or routing traffic so that you have some of your traffic on all paths
(ie internal traffic on one path, external traffic on another). The latter
doesn't necessarily tell you that your failover will work perfectly, only
that all your gear in the 2nd path is functioning. I prefer doing both.

When doing the failover tests, no matter how good your setup is, there's
always a chance for taking a hit, so I
always do this kind of work during a maintenance window, not too close
to quarter end, etc.
If you have your equipment set up correctly of course, it goes like butter
and is a total non-event.

For test procedure, I usually pull cables. I'll go all the way to line cards
or power cables if I really want to test, though that can be hard on
equipment.