Alternatives to storm-control on Cat 6509.

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Aug 23 06:30:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Sean Donelan wrote:

> But in a service provider network (or any managed network), is there any
> reason why a customer needs to hear other customer's broadcasts? In
> practice, are there any useful broadcast messages in a multi-customer
> environment that can't/shouldn't be proxied by the network operator or
> handled other ways.

Not that I know of, ISPs have successfully done L2 isolation of customers
for 10 years and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

Only bad part really is that if the customer is allowed several IPs and
you use local-proxy-arp then traffic between customer computers will go
via the ISP, which is one of the reasons I advocate the use of a home CPE
router for IPv6, it's just a cleaner handoff.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se