Alternatives to storm-control on Cat 6509.

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Aug 23 02:06:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Roland Dobbins wrote:
>> there are two things you care about: storm control and port security (mac
>> address counting).
>
> Chopping up the layer-2 broadcast domain for a given VLAN into smaller pieces
> via pVLANs can't hurt, either, as long as the hosts have no need to talk to
> one another - and it has other benefits, as well.

I understand why hosts need to send broadcasts.  In a close/single
customer environment, broadcasts could be useful.  I hope most
future protocol designers now think of using multicast or other
discovery mechanisms besides broadcast.

But in a service provider network (or any managed network), is there any
reason why a customer needs to hear other customer's broadcasts? In
practice, are there any useful broadcast messages in a multi-customer
environment that can't/shouldn't be proxied by the network operator or
handled other ways.