OSPF vs IS-IS vs PrivateAS eBGP

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Aug 20 23:26:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 08:47:14AM -0500, Clue Store wrote:
> 99% of all of our customer CPE is not managed by the customer, so that
> leaves it up to me to decide what to run to them.

And then you run into the customer who thinks it's better to use a CPE
of his own, breaks into the CPE to read your config and hooks up his own
device with his own config... and suddenly you have Problems[tm].

I've seen it happening, more than once.

> The only issue with using
> ebgp is getting enough of my staff that actually understand bgp  to the
> point where they can deploy it themselves without having to get me involved
> on every install.

Am I alone in my view that BGP is _far_ more simple and straight-forward
than OSPF (except in salary negotiations of course *G*)? Especially if
you leave "plain simple area 0". Or if you have to protect from external
parties. With BGP prefix-filtering, things are easy and obvious.

> We are moving to a new NOC so this network will get a fresh start (new
> 7513-sup720, few m10i's, and a dozen or so 7200vxr's). So my deployment
> strategy will be ebgp with multihmed customers. I just had to poke the fire
> so I had some ammo for upper management when they ask why I decide to go
> ebgp.

:-)

Best regards,
Daniel