OSPF vs IS-IS vs PrivateAS eBGP

Gary T. Giesen giesen at snickers.org
Thu Aug 20 20:34:41 UTC 2009

FWIW, we use BGP to our multihomed customers (even when we manage the
CPE), using a private AS. OSPF doesn't have the right toolset to
provide protection for inter-network route propogation, and the risk
of some customer's CPE screwing up you routing is just too high to go
naked. A basic CPE BGP config is not too difficult to template, and
you don't necessarily have to use prefix filters on it (although you
definitely need them on YOUR) side. And once you've got it deployed,
you'll find the knobs you can turn to do things like TE (ie. data down
one pipe, voice down the other, and failover for both) will have both
you and your customers loving it. (What? I can actually use that spare
circuit that normally does nothing?!?).

GG