OSPF vs IS-IS vs PrivateAS eBGP

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Aug 20 07:23:59 UTC 2009

On 19 Aug 2009, at 16:12, Clue Store wrote:
> I would like to run an IGP (currently OSPF) to our customers that
> are multi-homed in a non-mpls environment. They are multi-homed with
> small prefixes that are swipped from my ARIN allocations.
[...]

Customers do, err, interesting and creative things, in unexpected
ways.  Develop a standard filtering/protection layer from them and
deploy it however they connect to you - ergo use one routing protocol.

Using bgp means you can transit people who aren't pinching your own
arin space with the same filtering techniques.  The filtering methods
and techniques for customer/provider edges are well understood and
documented for bgp so if you need help, then help is out there.  With
bgp you'd also leave less of a time bomb for whoever succeed you in
the future.  This is before we even look at the technical reasons why
bgp is more suitable than a flooding RP for this deployment.

Use BGP ;-)