OSPF vs IS-IS vs PrivateAS eBGP

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Aug 19 16:45:02 UTC 2009

Clue Store wrote:
> I have also seen others going to private AS and running eBGP. This seems a
> bit much, but if it works, i'd make the move to it as I like bgp the most
> (all of the BGP knobs give me the warm and fuzzies :).

Upon previous advice I've received from large ISPs, I shifted to ISIS to
  strictly handle internal links and loopbacks which are stable in a
single area and use iBGP/eBGP for everything else. While not currently
using MPLS (size, topology, and customer demand don't warrant it), it's
nice to have the foundations already in place. Shifting IGPs is
annoying, especially given we previously had everything in the IGP.

The only perk I saw with OSPF was future development of supporting MPLS
across multiple areas. ISIS just seemed to suit my needs better.

Jack