TransAtlantic 40 Gig Waves

Rod Beck Rod.Beck at hiberniaatlantic.com
Fri Aug 14 18:55:36 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Moyle-Croft [mailto:mmc at internode.com.au]
Sent: Fri 8/14/2009 12:09 AM
To: Rod Beck
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: TransAtlantic 40 Gig Waves

Congrats Rod.

Southern Cross and Nortel have been trialing 40Gbps waves on the 8000km
segment from Hawaii to New Zealand.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/152866,southern-cross-trials-40gbps-nortel-kit.aspx

The 8000km segment is a LONG way - a very long way but it should mean
stability for any cable system (I'm not sure there are segments that are
much longer on any other system) - the bandwidth limit hasn't been hit yet!

MMC

Rod Beck wrote:
> http://www.hiberniaatlantic.com/documents/Hibernia40GAcrossAtlanticPR-JSA2-FINAL.pdf
>
> Roderick S. Beck
> Director of European Sales
> Hibernia Atlantic
> Budapest, New York, and Paris

Well, the funny thing is that when I approached bandwidth buyers at some well known publicly traded carriers, they told me that 40 gig waves across the Atlantic were impossible. Quite common response. Indeed, when we decided to launch LAN PHY 10 GigE, the builder of our cable system told us it wasn't possible.