IPv6 Addressing Help

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Fri Aug 14 15:43:27 UTC 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 10:31 PM, Chris Gotstein wrote:

> I'm just not able to wrap my brain around the subnetting that needs
> to be done on the router.

One of the things which has struck me as being fairly insane about
current recommended 'best practices' for IPv6 addressing is the
practice of wasting huge blocks of addresses on p2p links; even given
the gigantic address space, in a world in which every soda-can, every
window-blind, and swarms of medical nanobots injected into one's
bloodstream will potentially become spimes, this just seems grossly
short-sighted.

The other, more immediately worrisome aspect of this practice is that
it seems that we're essentially turning routers into sinkholes by
doing this, with all the negative consequences this implies.

Comments/clue greatly appreciated on this and related aspects . . .

         Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

		   -- Kevin Lawton