Follow up to previous post regarding SAAVIS

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Aug 14 15:31:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:03:24PM -0400, Joe Provo wrote:

> Experience proves otherwise.  L3's filtergen is a great counter-example,
> where the customer-specific import policy dictates sources to believe
> regardless of what other stuff is in their local mirror.  It happily
> drops prefixes not matching, so it does "make a real difference" WRT

No, level3's filtergen follows the exact "search path" rules I described
previously, which has no real impact for any reasonably sized isp. For
example, say I describe my as-set and aut-num and routes in altdb, you
can have level3 restrict the scope of the initial query to
ALTDB::myasset, and you can have level3 restrict the search path to
altdb, but what happens when I have a customer in my as-set who
registered their prefixes in radb? Now you have to open up the scope
there, and ripe, and arin, and level3, and ntt, and savvis, etc. Now say
someone comes along and slips an unauthorized route with my origin:
aut-num into one of these databases. You have no way to prevent that
from happening, when you run the query on my as-set/aut-num you're going
to get back the superset of my legit routes + any bogus ones. And this
is a good thing, because it's a lot less destructive to have bogus
routes in the system than it is to give someone the ability to override
legitimate routes with a bogus entry on a "more trusted" db.

> customer filtering.  I'm not familiar with DTAG's tools, but would be
> shocked if they were less featureful.  For querying other databases, see
> IRRd's !s syntax, which specifies sources in order.  Also see Net:IRR's
> $whois->sources() method.  For tools based on these, I would presume
> it be up to your implementation or policy expression as to how you
> decide the handling on multiple matches.  When mentioned, usually the
> first which matches is specified as 'the one', which is why search
> order matters.  What other purpose does specifying a search order serve?

This is the server side search path I talked about, it has nothing to do
with any specific client implementation nor is a client implementation
practical. See page 34 of:

http://www.irrd.net/irrd-user.pdf

Again you can restrict a global query, but this provides very little
practical benefit. You could dynamically restrict sources per query when
you go to do the !i or !g expansion, but there is no information on what
you should restrict it to, so again no practical benefit. The only thing
Level3 adds that isn't part of the stock query syntax is the top level
scope I mentioned above, ALTDB::AS-MYASSET. To support this recursively
you would have to run multiple full queries for the full records without
server side expansion, which is not practical for anyone with more than
a few hundred routes.

> If I am running a tool to generate filter lists for my customers, I
> want to believe my RR, the local RIR, some other RIR that is well run,
> and then maybe my upstream.  Specify that search order and believe
> the first match.  Job done.  If you have highly clued downstreams, go
> the filtergen route and tune source-believability based on customer,
> or cook up another avenue.  There is nothing inherent in the system to
> prevent this.
>
> Yes, reduced queries and the ability to ignore Bob's Bait and Tackle DB
> if I know it is part of the "piles of junk databases" you posit will
> exist.  See above.

This doesn't work if your customers have customers. I'm also not aware
of anyone running any "bad" databases, or for that matter any databases
which are of lesser security/quality than the "big boys". Short of what
ripe implements because they are the RIR, there is no real security on
registrations here, so it doesn't much matter if the database is level3
or bob's bait and tackle. And even given what I consider to be an
excessively large list of irr databases today, from the standpoint of
keeping good records, I'd be hard pressed to name one on the list who's
data I should trust any less than say level3's.

> Centralized scales better than distributed?  Quick, call the 80s - we
> need HOSTS.TXT back.

A silly argument. In this case, hosts.txt is equivalent to an ISP having
a human manually process an e-mail from a customer, add it to a
prefix-list on a router, and then manually e-mail their upstream or peer
ISPs to have them update the prefix-list, etc. In many cases centralized
(or at least, restricted to some reasonably sized set, obviously nobody
is proposing running the entire Internet on a single server run by a
single entity) has much better security properties. As far as scale
goes, you're talking about a pretty simple database of pretty simple
objects here. There is probably more overhead that goes into maintaining
the distributed nature of the db than there is actual work generating
prefix-lists. :)

> > There is no reason that this process needs to be
> > politicized, or cost anyone any money to use.
>
> Anytime you go down the road of advocating authority centralization,
> you'll start getting people politicizing the process [cf icann, alternate
> roots, all the random frothing-at-the-mouth-until-they-fall-over types].
> I rather think that can be avoided by properly embracing the distributed
> databases that do indeed function.  Some can be side-stepped with RIR-
> based IRRs, and decently distributed down to LIRs, but we all know ARIN
> is still playing catchup here so it doesn't help our sphere in the
> near term.

A reasonable amount of authority centralization in this case is at the
RIR level, particularly if it adds security mechanisms that provide some
level of authorization over who is registering what prefixes. There is
no reason that I should need to run my own database, if the system was
designed properly.

> > Again, we've made a horrible system here.
>
> I think you've misspelled 'front end'.  The system certainly seems to
> function, and the entire intent was that SPs would build their own
> customer-facing tools as well as internal tools.  Seems we've fallen
> down in that regard, but irrpt [even if in php :-P] and the revival of
> IRRtoolset are indications that folks are still interested in building
> the internal widgets.   In general I think you'd agree that the 'back
> end' of most all service providers did not keep pace with the growth
> of commoditization of service.

The databases are full of garbage data, a large portion of the networks
who do use it have as-set objects which expand to be completely
worthless (either blocking all their customers, or allowing the entire
internet), and there is a significant percentage of the bgp speaking
Internet who can't figure it out at all (including a lot of otherwise
theoretically competent tier 1's). Even of the people who use it, a LOT
of it only works because of wide-spread and often unauthorized proxy
registration, which IMHO is even more evil than not having it at all.

I'm by no means advocating the hosts.txt approach, clearly we NEED a
scalable automated system for managing authorized prefixes, but by every
measurable standard I can come up with the end result is a festering
pile of crap. I really don't think you can completely dismiss the back
end (both implementation and design) as part of those problems.