Botnet hunting resources

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Aug 11 13:11:26 UTC 2009

J.D. Falk wrote:
> Hi, Luke!  MAAWG recently published a document to help ISPs deal with
> infected machines in their networks.  It's not the same kind of
> pressure, but (as we learned with open relays at MAPS) pressure isn't
> very effective unless there are tools available to deal with the problem.

It could also use a lot more resources? Watching traffic flows for
traffic destined to known C&C addresses is nice, but including a pointer
to a resource that actually gives those addresses is much more useful.
For those who don't deal with it every day, the document just says they
need to spend even more time with google.

Jack