Botnet hunting resources (was: Re: DOS in progress ?)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Aug 10 12:24:19 UTC 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 5:34 AM, Nathan Ward <nanog at daork.net> wrote:

> On 10/08/2009, at 8:11 PM, goemon at anime.net wrote:
>> such a list would include all of chinanet and france telecom. it
>> would likely not last long.
>
> You've mentioned France twice now. Is there a big botnet problem
> there? I've never heard of anything like that.
> I'll admit I don't follow this area of the network closely, but I'm
> sure there are other places higher up the list than FTE..

I would say the problem plagues many diverse networks. The background
radiation goes undetected by most people for cost reasons. It's
cheaper to pass the bits then have a human convince someone their
machine is compromised. The problem will continue to be acute as
transit costs get even lower.

- Jared