sat-3 cut?

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 17:09:38 UTC 2009

On a somewhat old thread, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2009/07/2009730775992910.html
>> Surely, for a major investment like this, both ends have peers with others?
>
> never actually looked at the problems of african networking, have you?

Not in a long time.  My memory is that SAT-3 was supposed to be a nice
cooperative effort funded by the nations themselves, rather than an
outside investor.  With cooperation, I'd have expected good peering.

But my query isn't about politics, it's operational.

By the map in the article, the termini are Spain and Portugal on one end,
and South Africa on the other.  Surely, a single break wouldn't affect
both ends....

And the landings to Benin and Nigeria seem to be different (at least they
have different numbers), so that's probably the break (between them).  With
peering on each end, traffic should just run each direction to the world....